Sleaford Parish Church
A Brief History of St Denys', Sleaford
By 1072: Anglo-Saxon church here, given as part of manor of Sleaford to Remigius, 1st. Bishop of Lincoln.
1086: Domesday Book: "There is a priest there and a church".
By 1140: Bears dedication to St. Denys.
circa 1180: Rebuilding begins — oldest part of the tower.
circa 1200: spire added.
1271: St. Mary's chantry founded in north aisle — dissolved on 1542.
1277: Henry de Swinderby is first Vicar.
circa 1370: Nave rebuilt in decorated gothic style— fine window tracery.
circa 1380: North transept/Lady Chapel built — very fine north window tracery.
circa 1430: chancel rebuilt in perpendicular style, and clerestory added to nave.
By 1477: Holy Trinity Guild established at east end of south aisle.
by 1559: Reformed Church of England worship firmly established.
1756 & 1772: galleries installed in nave.
1796: ring of eight bells recast.
1853: galleries removed; second north aisle/St. Hugh's chapel built and old windows reused; grand restoration — new pulpit, high altar, pews.
1884: tower struck by lightning and completely rebuilt from ground upwards. Perpendicular window removed and tracery reërected in S.E. corner of churchyard.
1891: present Forster and Andrews organ installed in chancel.
1918 onwards: Mediaeval Rood screen [late 14th. century?], retaining the original platform and pulpitum, with balustrade and Rood restored by Sir Ninian Comper.
1966: further restoration and rebuilding of organ.
2009: solar panels installed in south aisle roof.
2014: toilets installed in S.W. corner.
For further reading:
• Nikolaus Pevsner,, John Harris, and Nicholas Antrim, The Buildings of England — Lincolnshire [Yale University Press, New Haven and London, 1989].
• Simon Jenkins, England's Thousand Best Churches. Penguin Books, London,2012].
• Edward Trollope, Sleaford and the Wapentakes of Flaxwell and Aswardhurn [Heckington, 1999].
• Many photographs on Google Image.
Further information may be obtained from Douglas Hoare, 01529 303506 or at: